The Fall of the Native Americans

Monday, February 22, 2010

Response to Hannah's Blog

The Human Genome Project is an issue that I was even more confused with when I finished than when I started to read about it. Not because the presentation was bad or confusing, but because it was so thought provoking. There are many extreme positives and negatives to continuing research, which makes me unsure of which side I agree with. I usually am pretty quick to make up my mind on a topic, but this is a major gray area for me. On one hand if the research continues there will be many diseases that could be cured, which seems great. However, I am also a realist and realism that in a way disease is necessary for humans. While nobody wants to see their loved ones die from a disease, if there were no diseases humans would likely exceed the carrying capacity of the Earth and the human race might end completely. Also, if research continues on this idea there would be a more intelligent population, and who knows what is possible. I think this could be good, but also it seems like it would start to make people extremely similar and take away variety, which is the spice of life. Hannah brings up the idea that no one should try to stop this research, but when it is found they should use it in a responsible way. I agree with this ideal, but thinking practically I do not believe people would be able to resist using this power. Parents would want their children to be the best at sports, the smartest kids, and the best looking. But I think this would take away the uniqueness of people as well as take away the surprise in life. If we are to have designer babies then the world would be a much different place and a place that I don’t think I would like to see. However, is it right for there to be people suffering from diseases when it is possible that we could eradicate these issues? I am really still unsure of where I stand on this issue. Hannah believes that there should be some things that should be allowed to be altered, such as diseases, but not things like athletic ability and intelligence. I definitely agree with the second part that people should live their life with the athletic ability and intelligence that they are given, but the first part I am still unsure of. I know that when I see someone I am close to suffering from a disease there isn’t a thought in my mind that I want to do anything to have this disease cured. However, I learned from biology that there is a carrying capacity for every population and I just wonder how close we are to this carrying capacity. Generally if a population exceeds this carrying capacity by a lot there is a huge amount of deaths in the population, and a population can even be wiped out completely. It is impossible for us to know the carrying capacity of the Earth and if these diseases are necessary which is why I am so undecided on the issue. I think Hannah did a great job showing both sides of the issue because there really is no right answer in this debate. No side seems like the good guys or the bad guys, which is much different from many other issues. Hannah really left this topic up for interpretation, and I am still contemplating which side I agree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment