The Fall of the Native Americans

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Native Americans Initial Response

Dear Journal,

I know a little bit about the Native Americans and the mistreatment that they have received. This seems like a topic that has been glossed over a lot in the American school system because Americans don't like to face the realities of their dark past and instead prefer to focus on the lighter points. I have been taught since preschool that the pilgrims and the Native Americans had a wonderful Thanksgiving meal and all was happy between the two. However, as I got older I learned more and more that the new Americans forced the Native Americans off of their own land and quite frankly they used power and were not peaceful in stealing the land from the Native Americans. I would like to learn more about this part of the history of Native Americans because as I understand it they were a very peaceful people who meant no harm. They were the exact opposite of many of the new Americans as the Native Americans respected all facets of life and life forms while the new Americans only wanted power for themselves. I have heard that the new Americans took advantage of the Native Americans kindness and I want to learn more about this aspect. We have read some articles by Zinn talking about the other side of the stories that we as American students here their entire lives and this is why I am interested in the topic of Native Americans. I have briefly heard the story of the news Americans purposely giving Native Americans smallpox by giving them blankets infested with it. This is a truly terrible act if it occured and I would like to know the extent of the truth of this story and other stories about the Native Americans. Basically, I want to research Native Americans because I want to uncover the truth about Native Americans rather than the stories I have heard since I was a child. Until next time, enjoy the gadgets.

Sincerely,
Matt Magill

No comments:

Post a Comment